Custom Search

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Purpose for this Blog is ............

I decided to create this blog to chronicle my Trans-Canadian canoe trip in May 2012. The hope is to share my experience of preparing and then setting off from Kenora , Ontario on this 4 month awe inspiring solo canoe trip along Canada's historic Voyageur highway.

My interest in this trip started about 4 years ago when I came across a video done by two brothers , Drew and Peter Marshall , involving their own Trans-Canadian canoe trip in 2005. Here is a link if you are interested in watching their adventure .... Brothers Marshall Trans-Canadian Canoe Trip.That video has always left a little bit of a spark inside me that I have never been able to put out and for anybody who loves spending time in the back-country , it looks like a secret paradise that time has forgotten.

Another great account of a very similar trek that I came across since I started researching the trip can be found here ....... Trans-Canadian Canoe Expedition 2002. This account from husband and wife team , Mark and Norah Garrison (almost forgot Scout, their dog) is a great read as it provides updated accounts from their 2002 expedition starting from Lake of the Woods , Minnesota and to their ending in Inuvik , NWT Canada. The site has also been a wonderful resource for myself and I'm sure others as well. Mark and Norah's recommendation to buy a copy of Greg Marchildon & Sid Robinson's , Canoeing the Churchill: A Practical Guide to the Historic Voyageur Highway has been absolutely spot on.

I would definitely recommend this also to anyone thinking about paddling in Saskatchewan along the Churchill and Sturgeon-Weir River's or even if you remotely interested in the early history of the fur trade between the First Nations and the Europeans in Saskatchewan. The authors provide many local accounts from the First Nations tribes and early local residents of the small towns and Native Reserves they pass by. It has to be one of the finest canoe trip guides ever put together , believe me , do yourself a huge treat and pick it up. You won't be disappointed.

Please stay tuned for more updates .....

Sorry if my posts are bit disjointed to begin , this is my first ever attempt at a blog or web page.

Cheers ,

Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment